Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ounces and Inches and Pounds...Oh My!



It has only been a week since I posted (so hard to find the time!) but it seems like I have a whole lot to mention. So here goes. First for the vital stats--as of this morning, Henry is up to 9 lbs 1 oz!! It has been 10 days since his one-month birthday where he weighed 8 lbs exactly. So we are pretty pleased with that. We are about to go up to Size 1 diapers. As for Charlie, today he is 19 months old, and he just had his 18-month checkup yesterday. He was 28 lbs, 4.5 oz, and just shy of 34 inches tall. This puts him in the 75th percentile for both height and weight. His head came down from 100th percentile to 90th...ha ha...so we are glad he seems to be well proportioned.



Charlie also got his first bottom molar 2 days ago, and it just so happened it came in while his cousins were visiting so he was a little fussy britches all day. He had one of those days where he kept falling into things, didn't nap well, his mouth hurt, etc so he basically acted like a brat most of the day. Once we figured out it was the tooth, we didn't blame him though. He still got in some good playtime with the older boys, Sam and Drew, and I think we even got some cute pictures of everyone. I will post once I get them. It was so nice to have everyone here! We had a great cookout with all of James' family (except Amy, who couldn't make it) and most of my family as well.


Charlie has learned to hold up one finger when you ask how old he is, although he won't say "one". We took him to play at the gym last weekend with Gage and Sam, and he had a blast! That is such a great program for him. We are trying to decide what program to do this fall, after he wraps up swimming in August. I can't decide between music and keeping him in tumbling. We'll see! I don't want to be one of "those moms" who makes her kid do something every single day. But he seems to enjoy the socialization. He just started summer school today, basically the same program he was in all year.




Henry had his first doctor's visit last week. He has been diagnosed with a bit of reflux. It isn't terribly bad, but enough to make him pretty uncomfortable at times. It might explain why he is so fussy and arches his back all the time. So we have started some Prevacid and we will see if that makes it any better. As far as sleeping goes, it is not the ideal situation but it could be worse. We are getting sleep but not good sleep. The reflux has made it harder for him to sleep flat on his back, not that he liked being put down anyway, so basically James and I are splitting the night up. I nurse him to sleep and hold him in the big chair in our room, because I am not comfortable having him in bed. But he still gets really hot and I don't sleep that well. After the 3 AM feeding, James takes him into bed with him. He is finally waking up to eat on his own, usually every 3 hours, maybe 4 at night. Sometimes he goes through little spurts where he cluster feeds in the evenings. I think it's all pretty normal! Now that he is about 6 weeks old, we are going to work harder on getting him to sleep in the cradle on his own.
Henry is also staying awake and alert a lot more, and he loves the ceiling fan! He smiles every now and then and I captured a couple of pictures last night. Charlie was pointing out his eye in one of them, one of many times we had to explain he didn't need to explore the baby's body parts. He is also really wanting to roll over from back to side, and he made it all the way to his tummy the other day! He's pretty strong to be so skinny.


On a personal note, I have started back running (actually more like walking with a few blocks of jogging thrown in) and I have SUCH a long way to go. But at least I am trying! I had my post-partum checkup yesterday and everything looks great. Dr. Wendel said there is no reason we could not have another baby but we would need to wait at least a year. We have no idea if that is something we want to do yet, but it's good to know that physically it would be okay! Hopefully we'll have more time to post in the next few days so I don't have to write a book to get caught up. :)

3 comments:

The B's said...

I'm glad things are going so well and he is gaining weight! I'm sorry about Henry's reflux. Emma had it and it was SO rough on her. We ended up putting her on her stomach to sleep. That was the only way she was comfortable. You may want to try it even though I know it's not the "recommended method" for babies to sleep. Emma says "wee" for one however only says that when prompted. When you ask her "What's your name? or How old are you?" you get the same reply - "Emma"! It is funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I can't believe how much Henry is growing... that is so good! As of yesterday Blair weighed 7lbs 5oz. So, she is catching up! She was on Prevacid for a precautionary for acid reflux.

Hope to see you the end of this month at Red, White and Baby Blue!

Hugs - Tiffany

Unknown said...

Wow...I'm going to blink and he's going to be 6 months old! Does Henry have Jack's little nose or does he have Jack's little nose? Oh my goodness! That is the FIRST thing I thought when I saw that side-view photo!