Monday, February 9, 2009

Back To Normal

I don't have new pictures ready yet but I wanted to post with some updates on the boys, since we are now fully enjoying our house with power again!

Henry had his 9-month checkup last week and he currently weighs around 19.5 lbs. He's tracking pretty close to Charlie at this age. Although we don't compare them in the sense of "Henry must be doing exactly what Charlie did or something is wrong", we do compare just for fun. Henry is not as advanced verbally (Charlie was saying a few words by now) but he seems to be more advanced physically (rolling balls, grasping and manipulating). It's very interesting to observe.

Henry is now cruising everywhere with ease and can turbo-crawl anywhere he wants. He has started to climb which has led to a few bumps on the head and a few stuck positions, which we can't help but laugh at. He has stood alone for just a second or two, but he seems to be pretty happy just pulling up on everything. He is also just starting to know how to wave. He claps and "shake-shake-shakes" all the time. He also says "MMMM!" when he takes a bite of food. He has an odd fascination with handling wet washcloths or crumpled up paper. And he has developed his own form of dancing--kind of a full-body bouncing up and down that is really cute! His favorite toys are his jungle thing, Charlie's puzzle pieces, and his rattles.

Speaking of food--the guy knows how to eat! He scarfs down multiple jars of baby food per day, plus all the cereal and yogurt, and now he's into mashed potatoes and bread and other table food. He is taking bottles a little better but he'd still much rather have real food. He is totally weaned now. He really did it himself. I had decided I would just keep going since he wasn't drinking milk very well, but he just decided he was done and that was that. I can't say that I miss all the pumping!

Charlie is just a two year old, plain and simple. He is prone to tantrums, doesn't like to share, absolutely refuses to mind, and has a way of pushing everything to the limit. When he's tired, it is almost overwhelming because he gets really aggressive and irritable so I spend all my time screaming at him or threatening another nap and then I feel bad. (especially when he says "Mama Go Away!" when I'm getting on to him) But, I guess he has to learn limits and respect and all that somehow. He is such a sweet boy that I hate to see him act up. He looks at you almost like he can't help himself, but he knows he shouldn't do these things. Tonight I made him get in his bed because he threw something that hit Henry in the head, and he laid in there saying "I be good boy, Mama!" over and over. Talk about heartbreaking!

Otherwise, he really enjoys making Henry laugh. (when he's not screaming "Mine!" if Henry even looks over at him) His conversation skills are improving every day and he is now using pronouns correctly most of the time and asking questions in full sentences. The puzzle obsession continues. We have cut back his TV time but he still loves the Wiggles and Yo Gabba Gabba. Speaking of, I get a lot of strange looks when I mention Yo Gabba Gabba, but I gotta say that show has had a positive impact. When he's doing a puzzle and can't get the piece to fit, I'll hear him sing to himself "Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up, don't give up" which is one of their little songs. So it's working! (so is "clean it up, clean it up, pick up your toys now")

Enough rambling. I just don't want to lose track of any of this going on because later it will seem so far away. No progress on toilet training, no teeth yet for Henry...it will all come in time! I love the boys and my time with them, especially now that they are interacting. Charlie will say "where Henry is?" and hold up his hands. Henry will see Charlie walk in and just beeline crawl to him. So sweet!!

No comments: