

I want to document all of the little newborn things before they are gone. I know how fast it goes. He does the little squawks and squeaks as he sleeps, he wants to curl into a tiny ball more than anything, and he has absolutely no butt at all--none! We put him in Preemie diapers because newborns kept falling down, but now his output is more than the little diaper can handle. So we either deal with "leakage" or we are constantly pulling up his diaper. He has long fingers and toes and has that same skinny body that Charlie has. Even some of Charlie's preemie clothes are too big right now.
He was down to 5 lbs 10 oz at Monday's appointment but last night he was back to 5.12, so he is going in the right direction at least. Although I was halfway expecting a completely different personality, so far many things about Henry are just like Charlie. For example, I was hoping we could actually lay him down somewhere to sleep like a bassinet or cradle, but NOOOO...he has to be held or he immediately wakes up and screams. So we are back to trading off who sleeps in the big chair and holds him half the night. So far we have not let him sleep in our bed. We are having a lot of trouble keeping him awake for feedings, just like Charlie. He would sleep for hours and hours but he needs to gain some weight so we were told to wake him up every 2.5 to 3 hours to eat. He doesn't always agree with that timing! So he falls asleep before he gets a full feeding. We'll work on that.
He loves his baths so far. We have just done a couple of sponge baths, but he didn't even fuss much during the last one and it always puts him in a deep sleep afterwards. I love how relaxed he is. He is quite the mama's boy it seems, but I don't mind a bit. There are times when nothing makes him happy except me, or more specifically, certain parts of me. :)
Charlie is adjusting very well to having a baby brother. In fact he has been behaving extremely well the past few days. We are so proud of him! He walks around saying "Bay-bee" or "bay-bee bubba" all the time. He gives Henry little hugs and kisses, and he tries to give Henry his toys and sippy cups. I don't think he fully understands, but he seems to accept that Henry is here now and he hasn't acted jealous very many times. I feel a little guilty that right now I can't spend much time away from the baby, but I am trying to play with Charlie as much as possible too. I think we will be just fine! It is so cute to see how Charlie already loves his little brother.
Charlie has also cracked us up lately with learning to say new words. He has decided he loves the word "schedule" even though he doesn't know what it means. He says "tuh-key" for turkey. And just today he started to say his name. It sounds like "stah-lee" or something like that but it's really cute. When we say "Who's the baby?" he will point at Henry, and then we'll say "Who's our other baby?" and he will smile and point to himself. Otherwise he remains obsessed with bottles and lids and containers.
We have had a lot of help from friends and family and we are so thankful! It has made our lives much easier as we try to establish some kind of routine. I better stop now, this is long. I will hopefully have more time to update as things settle down a bit.

No comments:
Post a Comment