Friday, January 9, 2009

My Engineer

Charlie never ceases to amaze me. Here is a little scenario that just played out.

I am sitting in a chair, nursing Henry, so my hands are a little tied up. Charlie is running around the room getting into things as usual, but I am trying to be patient because he is sick and very tired. So Charlie is playing with the electronics on the nightstand--namely the video monitor, the regular monitor, and the power cord that goes to the swing (which is disconnected at the moment). Many of you know that Charlie considers himself an electrical engineer already so he thinks he is authorized to mess with cords and wires. Let me be clear--the following exchange was not dealing with the actual outlet--not that it really makes it better.

Anyway, he takes the video monitor down and unplugs the power cord from it. He tells me, "Mama, plug in swing now" and I am a little exasperated, so I start saying, "Charlie, No! leave that alone!" as he is taking the AC adapter from the monitor and leaning towards the swing. Just as I am saying "It's not going to fit anyway", he plugs it in to the swing, gets this satisfied look on his face, and says "Fit Mama!". Kind of like "you silly Mama, you think just because it was on the monitor it wouldn't fit, but I know that these are universal and they will fit anywhere". I'm just not sure what to think about the fact that he knows this already. Or that he even cares!

He also counted 4 objects today all on his own. Generally speaking, he knows the difference between one and more than one, but he doesn't get the "more than one" number very accurate. He might say two or ten if there's more than one. But today he actually lined up 4 cars and counted 1,2,3,4 and said "Mama, 4 cars there!". So he's getting it!

He's battling a terrible cold so today is a very cranky day for all of us. Right now I hear Henry screaming so I am afraid he "visited" him in the crib, better go check....

No comments: